Admission Requirements – Southern Methodist University
First Year Application
Step 1: Decide which application deadline is right for you
- November 1
- Early Action (non-binding)
- Early Decision 1 (binding)
- January 15
- Regular Decision (non-binding)
- Early Decision II (binding)
For more information on the differences between each deadline, please visit our Frequently Asked Questionspage.
Please note: All applicants who apply by January 15 are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships with their application for admission.
Step 2: Decide which application method is right for you
(Please note: The following applications are for first year students only. Transfer students, please click here.)
For students who need to access the application for admission to SMU for Fall 2014, please click here.
Step 3: Review the application checklist
- Completed application
- Completed Early Decision Agreement Form (if applying Early Decision)
- $60 nonrefundable application fee
- Official high school transcript
- Official SAT or ACT scores
- Counselor recommendation (PDF) or SENDedu (electronic submission)
- Teacher recommendation (optional) (PDF)
- Extracurricular resume
- Home School Supplement (if applicable) (PDF)
- Review audition and portfolio requirements (students applying for Dance, Music, Theatre, Art, or Film)
Step 4: Submit application materials
Please mail all application materials to:
SMU Undergraduate Admission P.O. Box 750181 Dallas, TX 75275
You are welcome to send materials separately; however, please be sure all materials clearly indicate your first, middle and last name, and your date of birth. We recommend that you make and keep a copy of all application forms for your records.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better. If you have questions, please contact your SMU Admission Counselor or the main Admission Office.
Phone: 800-323-0672 or 214-768-2058 Fax: 214-768-0103